Friday, October 23, 2009

Indiana University- Here I Come!

It is with excitement, anticipation, and a little bit of nerves that I want to share a new and bright opportunity on the horizon. I have officially accepted a temporary position to be the House Director of the Alpha Xi Chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha at Indiana University. The former house mom left in the middle of the semester, and a friend from college who works for our International Office recommended me to fill the spot until they can hire a long term replacement for next semester.

Luckily for Layne and I, we won't have to spend too much time apart. We'll have 15 days away from each other, and then a weekend in Illinois for our friend Hannah's wedding. We'll have 10 days apart before I come home for a long Thanksgiving weekend, and then a 20 day stint before I'm home for good. Stephen will be here with Layne which will help, and I'll have 111 girls who live in the Zeta house to help keep me company.

I'm really looking forward to visiting the NCAA Hall of Fame in Indianapolis, and a day trip up to Notre Dame to check out the campus. Layne's Aunt Paula, cousin Keith and the kids will only be 3.5 hours away in case of emergency, and my friend H Matt will be a quick hour drive.

I know being away from Layne will be a challenge, but we both feel that this will be a good experience for me, and that in the long run, our marriage will be stronger for it. I'm getting on the road Monday morning, and will arrive in Bloomington later that night. And from there... the adventure begins!

They say home is where the heart is. Part of my heart has always stayed in New Orleans, and part of my heart will always been in Baton Rouge. Part of my heart is always with Layne. It'll be hard to be apart from everyone and stand on my own, but it's short term... and hey, I bet I'm going to get to check out a new college football stadium or two!

I've got a busy weekend ahead of me to get ready to head out of town, but will be sure to keep everyone posted as my adventure unfolds.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mitzi, this sounds like a great opportunity!! I can definitely attest that being away from the one you love can be very challenging, but you can carry Layne's love with you wherever you go! :) Can't wait to see you during the holidays!

Love,

Megan