Thursday, October 22, 2009

Delta Kappa Turned 50!




Another reason for my trip back to Louisiana was for my sorority reunion. Abby and I were both members of the Delta Kappa Chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha at Louisiana State University, and this year we celebrated our 50th Reunion on LSU's campus. On Sunday morning, Mom and Dad dropped me off at the Lod Cook Alumni Center on campus for a luncheon. I had a great time seeing so many friends from college. It was great to catch up with some people and reconnect with others. The presentation at the luncheon was great. It was a thorough presentation of our history, and how we came to be the organization that we are today. Old skits from the 60's and 70's were performed- stories from the 70's and 80's were amazing. I'm so glad I was able to be there. It reminded me of how much I loved that experience in my life, and how thankful I am that I was able to be apart of it.

I haven't heard our creed in years, but listening to it this weekend reminded me of how much I loved repeating it at our weekly chapter meetings. It's a great statement, and I find it incredibly inspiring. I thought I would share it with all of you.

"To realize that within our grasp, in Zeta Tau Alpha, lies the opportunity to learn those things which will ever enrich and ennoble our lives; to be true to ourselves, and to those within and without our circle; to think in terms of all mankind and our service to the world; to be steadfast, strong, and clean of heart and mind, remembering that since the thought is father to the deed, only that which we would have manifested in our experience should be entertained in thought; to find satisfaction in seeming rather than being, rather than seeming, thus strengthening in us the higher qualities of the spirit; to prepare for service and know the nobility of serving, thereby earning the right to be served; to seek understanding that we might gain true wisdom; to look for the good in everyone; to see beauty, with its enriching influence; to be humble in success, and without bitterness in defeat; to have the welfare and harmony of the Fraternity at heart, striving ever to make our lives a symphony of high ideals, devotion to the right, the good, and the true, without a discordant note; remembering always that the foundation precept of Zeta Tau Alpha was love, "the greatest of all things." (by Shirley Kreasan Strout)

More to come about Zeta Tau Alpha in a few blogs... it's kind of a big deal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks