Monday, December 29, 2008

On The Road Again...

I'm back in Greeley, Colorado for work again this week- only this time winter is upon us! I've been smart about my travel plans, and have intentionally tried to avoid the snow. Call me silly, but I've never driven in snow before, much less country dirt roads through winter wheat fields in the snow. I've never even had to scrape my windshield before... and these are not firsts I'm looking forward to.

Aunt Leslie and Uncle Scott saved my butt today- literally. They bought me my first pair of Long Johns for Christmas this year, and they were perfect today. As the sun set over the Rocky Mountains, the temperature dropped dramatically. I don't know if I'll ever get used to the cold weather, but one thing is for sure. Views like this will never get old.

It was absolutely inspiring to spend the day at the foothills of the mountains. It took my breath away every time I looked up. I lived in Colorado Springs the summer after I graduated high school as part of a scholarship from LSU. I got my geology credits I needed for my degree, and got to travel to the Grand Canyon, Black Canyon, Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, the Grand Tetons... the list goes on and on. That summer, I was amazed by the beauty of nature. And being up here again reminds me of all the small, insignificant gifts we have been given to treasure on this Earth. I'm looking forward to the first weekend I can spend up here in the mountains.

When life gets crazy and it seems like there is too much going on, sometimes the best thing for the soul is to head out to the middle of nowhere where you can't get cell phone service, do your job, and enjoy your view.

I think I may actually be sad when it's time to head back to Dallas this week.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: