Friday, January 2, 2009

It Doesn't Get Any Better...

I spent the better part of Wednesday at the Denver International Airport. I was trying to make it back from Colorado for kickoff for the LSU Game, and was hoping I could fly standby. It didn't work. I didn't get on the 1:30 flight, or the 2:35 flight. My flight was at 3:50, but at 5pm I was still sitting at the airport- mechanical issues. There was a 5:05 flight out, but they weren't letting anyone from the 3:50 flight switch. It would take too much time to switch everyone over, they didn't want to delay the current flight... yada, yada, yada. I begged, I pleaded, it was shear desperation... and lucky enough, I got my way. I missed the first half of the LSU game, but made it home just in time for the second half.

The day wasn't all that bad though. Let me share with you favorite incident:
I was riding the train from the security check point to Terminal C, and low and behold, standing across from me was a Georgia Tech fan. I could tell by his hat. (I had a LSU hat on myself.) We had a moment where we locked eyes. We non-verbally acknowledged the competition that would unfold later that evening. Could the trash talker in me resist? Not a chance.

"Tiger Bait. Tiger Bait. Tiger Bait." Never mind the fact that there were fifteen other people in the train with us. (I know- you're smiling. You can see it happening.) The Georgia Tech fan was caught offguard at my audacity. "You can't talk trash. You guys are the underdog." I actually felt bad for the man. He had no idea what a formidable opponent he was dealing with. "Of course I can talk trash! We're the defending National Champions. And until next Thursday, I'm going to act like it." (I promise I did so in a polite and playful way Mom!) And then, out of no where, the football gods worked their magic. There was a family, the father was wearing a dry fit Florida shirt. One of his little girls had a sweatshirt on too. They chimed in, "Tiger Bait. Tiger Bait. Tiger Bait." The Georgia Tech fan was screwed. "You guys hate LSU. Why would you cheer for them?" And at that moment, I couldn't have been prouder. The father replied, "We're the SEC. At this time of year, we all support each other. Geaux Tigers."

Seriously... does it get any better than that?

No comments: