Sunday, May 16, 2010

NoLA Highlights

So we were in New Orleans for a long weekend. We drove in on a Friday and the services were Monday. Layne caught a plane to St. Louis, MO on Tuesday morning for work, so I decided to hang out in town until the following Monday. Gregory was getting his senior ring from LSU, and after sitting through my ceremony as well as Stephen's and Abby's, it looked like none of us could be there. That was just unacceptable in my book- so I stayed in town. Here are the highlights of the week:

1.) Dinner with my high school girls! Cristin Nunez, Melissa Eilers, Corrie Keel, Jill Willoughby and I had a great night out. After a long dinner, we went back to Corrie's and just caught up. I had a wonderful time- I used to each lunch with these girls everyday! We missed you, Olano and Claudia and wanted you to be there as well. Next summer will be my ten year reunion. I can't believe how much time has flown by since our days in khaki, brown and white plaid.

2.) I had a personal shopper. You think I'm joking, but I'm not. Over the two week period I was in town I think my mom took me shopping 5 days. And I'm not complaining. I now have an extensive wardrobe for all kinds of summer events. She even found a bathing suit I love on super sale that looks great on. SueSue is a mini miracle worker. Thank you mom for your hard work and super sale shopping. I feel great about myself, and a big part of that is because the closet wars have ended. You are too good to me.

3.) My husband is really a part of my family. It may sound silly, but I don't get the impression that Layne was spending the weekend with "my" family. It really has become his family too. To see how easily he fits right in is something beautiful that I really appreciate. I couldn't have married a better man.

4.) More family time! I think I have some of the best aunts and uncles out there. Every time we go back to New Orleans... and I mean every single time... they make an effort to get as many Reynolds together as possible. We are so lucky.

5.) I had a slumber party with Stephen's girlfriend Rachel at their new house. Stephen had a major camp in Laurence, Kansas and was out of town or the weekend, and I didn't want Rachel to have the heebie jeebies. I'm glad we had the extra quality time and I got to know her better.

6.) Gregory got held up. I know, crazy, but he did. And if being held up at gun point wasn't enough, they took a shot at him. And while part of me laughs at how ridiculous the situation was, a bigger part of me is devastated that my brother has to deal with those emotions.

7.) For the first time in a long time, I got to celebrate my birthday dinner with the whole family! Mom, Dad, Layne, Stephen, Rachel, Abby, Doody, and Gregory.... I am so spoiled....

8.) My mom, Nan, and I went to lunch with one of Granny's best friends. It was such a wonderful time. Just being with her reminds me of my Granny, and hearing her share stories about my grandparents when they were younger, close to my age... it was hilarious.

I walked away from the month of April, saddened by the loss of Chad and hurting for my friend Heather, my second friend from childhood to lose a brother. But at the same time, I can count my blessings. And those blessings are what we hold onto to get through the tough times in life. I have hope for a brighter tomorrow, and am willing to dance in the rain with my family and friends until the sun starts to show from behind the clouds.

Everything in life is manageable as long as you choose hope.

No comments: