Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Anyone Can Cook



Sounds far fetched, but with the proper guidance, I think anyone can cook. I know, ironic, especially coming from me. But last night, I put myself to the challenge and passed with flying colors.

One day we were over at the Maywald's house, and Christine surprised me with the cookbook you see above. It's AWESOME. At the bottom of every recipe, there are questions, like "How do you slice green onions? Pg. 42" or "How do you shred carrots? Pg. 63" See, following a recipe isn't the hard part for me- it's understanding what the recipe means. This book answers every question I could have, so it makes it easy to figure out what to do. I highly recommend it to anyone who struggles in the kitchen

Last night, I made Sweet and Sour Shrimp soup from scratch. It had some mushrooms, carrots, green onions, and shrimp... and man, was it good. It was a level 2 recipe (they really break it down so you don't get ahead of yourself), and Layne and Stephen had no complaints. Actually, they both drained their bowls.

I was so excited by my accomplishment, I'm willing to look past the fact that this only means Layne will get me in the kitchen again. It really wasn't so bad, as long I've got the right tools.

A special thank you to my sister-in-law for spoiling me with the cookbook. I love it. More importantly Layne loves it, and I have a feeling we'll be using it for a long time to come!

3 comments:

Christine said...

I'm glad you like it. And the soup was good. Keep it up!

Mitzi said...

Oh man was it good you guys. Don't all rush to sign up for our dinner parties. (Layne)

Monica Ramsey said...

That's my next cookbook purchase! It sounds perfect for me... I could really use some details like that when cooking!