Thursday, November 20, 2008

Salvation Army Angel Tree

I work for a GREAT company. Yeah, we're all stressed out. We have considerable amount of responsibility for someone our age. "Our age" averages out at 27 right now. There are pros and cons at any office environment, but yesterday we got to focus on one of the many pros. One of our community activities we participate in is the Salvation Army Angel Tree Program. Last year, we donated money. As a perk, the company gave every employee an extra day of vacation to use in the first quarter of the year. This year, we did it a little differently. Every employee donates what they can. It's secret. Only the manager knows who gives what, so there is no need to feel awkward about it. Then, the West Rockies Region started the afternoon off at Abeulo's. I'm not a fan of Mexican, but I really did have a good time with everyone. Then it was off to Target to shop for our Angel. I was given $100 to shop for Antwone, a 1 yr old boy who needed shoes and wanted educational toys. It was an interesting experience, and really reminded me of how fortunate I am. I may want things, but I need for nothing. I enjoyed shopping for my buddy... and was most excited about the baller tennis shoes and the harmonica I got for the little man. Yes- they now make harmonicas for the +18 months age group so kids learn to play music at a young age. AWESOME. We finished shopping for our 12 Angels, and then off it was to Blue Goose for Happy Hour. Not only did we have fun, but it felt good to give back. The company lost money giving us the afternoon off to do this, but I know we all gained something from it. My Mom adopts a family with her group of friends every year, and I think it's an awesome idea. So thanks to Merit for the reminder of the real reason behind the Holiday Season... and the afternoon off!

Amira and I- One of the accountants I work with and an annual attendee of the Panty Party
Nic, Nic, and Me... Two of the other engineers in the West Rockies Region

The People I Spend ALL Day With- The West Rockies Region

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's awesome that your work takes the afternoon off. I've also done Salvation Army Angel Tree every year since I've been at Sabre. When I was a kid we had a similar deed done for us, so its always a good reminder of doing well enough to give back.