Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bridezilla Took Over

I consider myself to be a relatively easy bride to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments. But for the most part, I don't care about most things. Flowers, dresses, shoes, jewelry, hair... not important to me. I love Layne. On January 10th, I'll be his wife. The rest is really just details. But today, I definitely reared my ugly head. At a stranger. In front of 20+ other strangers.

We fly out of town tonight for a long weekend in Louisiana. (I love November and December because I see so much of my family and friends, and with the wedding, it makes it even better.)

So you can imagine, it's a short work week. Layne has a big presentation on Monday, so he's been working crazy hours. Who works 11 hours on a Sunday? Don't answer that. I can think of some immediate family members who do. Back to the point. So I've been trying to bring my A+ game to get us packed, organized, and on the road. There are no more regular trips back to NoLA. Now we're bringing things back home for the big day. The to-do lists have been a mile long, and I had finally worked my way down to the last step- bringing the invitations to the post office. Easy enough you'd think, especially since the post office is across the street from my office. But that was not the case today. Somehow- despite the fact that all the invitations are the same, stuffed the same, no extras... some weigh more than others. And as a result, they need more postage. No big deal, because homie at the post office has a scale and can weigh them for me. Only he wouldn't, because the line was so long. So he instructed me to use the electronic scale on the other side of the building, which wasn't working. I'd put an invitation down, and it would say $0.42. Same invitation again, but this time $0.59. So I got back in line since the first man who helped me was at lunch, waited another 20 minutes, only to be told I wasn't using the machine right, and had to zero it out before each weigh in. Same problem still existed. So rather than get back in line, again, I waited for the 2nd person who helped me to get done with their customer. And when I caught her eye, she called me over. She kindly helped me weigh out each invitation, and while she was doing so I was putting the extra stamps on invitations as needed. Deep breath. Almost done. And then, I lost control.

The customer next to me got done, and the next person in line came up.

USPS Employee: Sorry about the wait sir. It's been a crazy day.

Random man (Loud enough so the entire line could hear): Not your fault sir. We can't all jump in front of the line.

Me: Silent. (My head had whipped around in disbelief.)

USPS Employee helping me: She didn't jump in front of the line sir.

Random man: Whatever.

Me: Well don't you just look like an ass for assuming that I jumped in front of the line. I've been here for over an hour. I've already sat in this line twice. The reason I did that, is because I was trying to be considerate of everyone else in line and went and used the scale in the other room. Only the scale is broken. And when I sat in line the second time and told them, they told me I was using the scale wrong, only I wasn't. So don't you look like a fool for causing a scene.... Whatever.

And as I took my debit card back and grabbed my purse, one little old lady in line clapped for me. I didn't look back, but I have a feeling the rest were just looking at me like I was nuts.

No comments: