Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Three Day

After a lot of thought, I have decided to particiapate in the Atlanta Breast Cancer 3 Day, and have been lucky enough to convince Amy Armstrong to do it with me.


What's the 3 Day? Basically, it a 60 mile walk over the course of three days across the city of Atlanta. (Please pray for good weather!) The proceeds go to the Susan G. Komen foundation to fund breast cancer research, education, screening, and treatmeant.


Why the 3 Day? Well, I'm not anywhere close to be able to run a marathon, walking is definitely more my style. In college, my sorority's national philanthropy is Susan G Komen, so its a cause near to my heart. And most importantly, because my mom is a survivor. My mom is still with us, because women like Nancy Brinker stood up and made a committment to make a difference starting in the early 1980's. I am so thankful for the gift they gave my mother- I want to give it to other women as well.


Breat Cancer Facts
  • One in eight women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
  • Breast cancer knows no boundaries- be it age, gender, socio-economic status or geographic location.
  • There are 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. today.
Since the beginning of The 3 Day in 2003, more than $400 million have been raised through donations, contributions, and sponsorships. The money has been invested in breast cancer research, education, and community health programs- not only for those affected by the disease, but for the family, friends, and co-workers of those who have been affected too.


What can you do? Up for the challenge? Sign up to walk 60 miles with Amy and I. I can promise you this... we'll definitely keep you entertained, and Amy never runs out of things to say. Is that too much too soon? Amy and I are going to raise $4,600 together. We're looking for 460 people to donate $10 each... and we know we can reach our goal. Don't you want to be one of the 460 who makes this weekend possible? Check the link below to view my personal page, where you can learn more about our weekend adventure and make your $10 donation.



http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/Walk/AtlantaEvent2009?px=3633148&pg=personal&fr_id=1291&et=XU-OmMWMsQ6z7ZgYAdxbDg..&s_tafId=84800

No comments: