Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thankful on A Thursday

Here we are, and another week has flown by. It's time for Thankful on a Thursday, and I know I am so blessed. My cup is overflowing... let me share what I am extra thankful for this week!

11.) My friends are like my family, and my family are my friends.
This is a picture of two of my favorite people, Lauren "McQ" Martinez and Claire "Ma Rie" Poche'. Claire is my younger cousin and McQ is my sorority sister and college roommate. I cannot express how much these two women have shaped me into who I am today, or how thankful I am for their influence. McQ is a friend who has become a part of our family- Abby calls her for advice, and Gregory has already told me she's invited to his wedding. Our parents have become friends, and still take advantage off opportunities to spend time together when we're both in town. And while Claire is my younger cousin, we don't have to be friends. We don't have to be close as adults, but I am so thankful we are. And to top it off, McQ and Claire even share a special relationship with each other. I just makes life so nice.

12. My Nieces (Sorry Lucy- Doody's Black Lab- only the non-furry variety today)
Addison and Reece just light up our lives. They are Christine and Chad's girls, and they have our hearts in the palm of their hands. Addison definitely looks like Christine's side of the family (The Anderson side- Mrs. Carmen's family) and Reece looks just like a Maywald. We love playing with our little angels, seeing their art projects and work from school. I leave listening to Reece read me a book, or watching a classic Disney movie with a bowl of popcorn to share. I love seeing them grow up- it's amazing how much more comfortable they have become in the pool over the summer. And I CAN NOT BELIEVE Reece is starting 1st grade. When I met her in 2006, she had just turned three. She didn't really make much sense then, but boy has that changed. And Addison wasn't even around when I met Layne. The first time I met Christine, she was 8 months pregnant. I love, love, love, our minis... and hope there will be many more in the future. (No pressure Brina & Scott, Abby & Doody.... and definitely no pressure Steve Eaux or Gerald)

13. My Aimes
And I can call her "my Aimes," because I'm the only one that spells it like that. I don't know why I've never taken to the Ames everyone else has, but there is no point in switching now. It's ingrained. First, a very Happy Birthday wish to my Old Maid Aimes! (She's actually 3 months younger than I am, which is why I love to tease her about growing up. I don't think I'm going to like hitting 30 first!) Amy shared the most beautiful quote with me the other day. "Like branches of a tree we grow in different directions, but our roots remain as one." Most people can't understand what it's like to have a friend that was there the day you were born. We don't know life without each other. From selling girl scout cookies to tennis leagues, playing against each other for the playgrounds and grammar schools, to first kisses and drivers ed... the good, the bad, and everything in between... we've been there and done it. And while we've gone our own ways and done our own things, it's nice to know that what we have can never be taken away. It's too much of a part of who we are.
14. KRLD Restaurant Week
Last night Layne and I went on a date to Dallas Chop House. It's a steakhouse downtown in walking distance of our loft- and I surprised Layne with a reservation there for Restaurant Week. I love restaurant week! It allows us to try out some of the best restaurants in Dallas for a great deal. $35 will get you a three course meal at the restaurant of your choice, $7 of which goes to charity. It's fun to hear where other people are going, and I love how the food critic comes out in each of us. The Chop House was okay- definitely not a top five steakhouse in town. But it's our steakhouse, and we enjoyed walking over and strolling through downtown. It was a wonderful date night, and can wait to hear results from other friends.
15. The Junior League
I know I mentioned this earlier in the week, but I am so thankful to be apart of the league. I have already met amazing women, and I can't wait to get involved in the community. My next meeting is in September, and our guest speaker will be Collins Tuoy (sp?) from "The Blind Side." Sports and the Junior League? Who would have thought? This could be H-E-A-V-E-N.
That's it for Thankful on a Thursday this week. I hope your weekend is full of blessings that bring a smile on your face- and that you can find time to give thanks for those things too! XOXO!

1 comment:

Gini said...

So I totally just realized that this was your blog! I was reading through from your link up for Thankful on a Thursday and saw that picture of Amy and thought, wait? That looks like Amy? Then it doawned on me your married name was Court. Yes, I am an idiot. So glad I found you online! Much love-Gini