Wednesday, January 28, 2009

MDA

I rarely post something written by someone else, but my sister Abby sent an email out last night that touched my heart and I wanted to share it with all of you. When I read her email, I had conflicting emotions- saddened by the loss of a child, touch by the simple act of love shown in the picture, and pride that my sister, cousin, and friends are apart of such an amazing organization.

Abby's spirit of volunteerism has inspired me to take action of my own- more to come on that later. Here is her email:

As you all know, I volunteer every summer for the Muscular Dystrophy Association Camp Sunshine. It is by far my favorite thing/place in the world. There is so much happiness, love, and purpose in this one week. The only difficult times are days like today when campers pass away.

Yesterday, Bryan Wolfe, did not wake up. He was 13 years old and was about 7 when I started to work camp. I have watched this boy battle this disease with an ever-smiling face and a cheerful spirit. I wanted to send you all a picture of him and remind you to always treat every day like your last. We never know when our time will be.

Also, there are children like Bryan whose life has been enriched by volunteers like myself and Erin Doody, who attended camp this past summer. This is the reason I volunteer and continue to go back each year. I know I am making a difference. This picture is of Bryan (on the right) and Caleb (the black boy on the left). They did not know I was taking the picture. Bryan could not lift the binoculars to his eyes because of his weak arm muscles so his buddy Caleb is helping him out. What a moment!
I love you all. Abby


No comments: