Thursday, January 29, 2009

Another reason to be proud to be an LSU Tiger...

We all know I am an LSU fanatic. It's who we are. It's in my blood. Everyone in my family has a passion for LSU. And we should. Our University has been good to us. My degree is worth something in employers eyes, not to mention the lifelong memories I have tied to that place.

Our Alma Mater has a line in it that has always been one of my favorite... "Our worth in life will be thy worth..." I know it might sound odd, but I believe it. I am tied to the university. Everyone who knows me knows I associate with LSU. When the university looks good, it is a reflection of "my people." As an alum, my ethics/morals/actions are a reflection of the education I received there.

Today, another alum made me very proud to be an LSU Tiger. Do you remember Kevin Mawae? Drafted by the Seahawks in '94, played for the Jets for a few years, and now he plays for the Titans. Last year he was inducted into LSU's athletic hall of fame. I didn't know much about him then, but I do now. He is a champion on and off the field.
Kevin was on Mike and Mike today. He grew up an army brat, spent some time at Fort Polk, and ended up at Leesville High which brought him to LSU. He's in Tampa right now, and has teamed up with Reebok to send NFL jerseys to our armed forces overseas. He arrived on location with several injured soldiers who are recovering in Tampa right now. One is a huge Steelers fan. The message he sent - (and this is paraphrased) was that he is a football player. He risks his health and safety every week, but he isn't a real hero. He provides entertainment. The real heroes are the men and women who have volunteered to fight for us. They risk their lives, so that we can enjoy celebrations like the SuperBowl in Tampa this weekend. How true.

It's great to be an LSU tiger, and to be in the company of so many amazing alumni who make a difference in the world today.

And since football is the topic of the day, let me just mention that I am extremely excited about college football's signing day on Wednesday. LSU has the potential to walk away with the #1 recruiting class this year, with several players that could contribute to the 2009 football season.

And I'm working on uploading pictures of Jamaica. I promise they'll be posted soon, I just need to get someone to show me how to do what I'm trying to do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can get all nerdy about offensive line character and technique, but nice shout out to Kevin Mawae. He has been in my all-time top 10 offensive linemen I follow and respect.