Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Rant...

I hate shopping. Did you know that? Think about my wardrobe. It's pretty obvious I'm not one of those women who have a shopping fetish. Shoes, purses, clothes, accessories... I just not never enjoyed the process. Don't get me wrong- I'm a girl. I like getting dressed up and looking great, but the effort really overshadows the benefits sometimes.

Since we're back from the honeymoon and our wedding is over, I have a new priority in my life- Abby's wedding. I've got to get on the ball, so since we've gotten back I've been trying to order my bridesmaid dress. That's right... try. What's that saying, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again." We're past that point.

Did you know that it is possible to need a dress size for your hips that is 8 sizes bigger than the size you need for the top? And did you know that that is too much of a difference to be altered? So in order to have one dress that fits, two dresses would have to be sewn together. But if you don't get the dress altered at the store where it is being purchased, no tailor will guarantee that they can do it. Did you even know that some alterations could be risking and a tailor wouldn't want that kind of responsibility? Shear frustration.

I've got to place the dress order, and have no clue what to do.
Do you buy the large one and hope someone can make it work? Buy both dresses since there is more of a guarantee? Order the dress from a different dye lot so the bridal store here in Dallas will guarantee that there won't be a problem with the dress?

And this is the problem in my life. For my job, I operate a multi-million dollar budget on my own. Hell, I've had single projects with a million dollar budgets. No problem. I've worked 8 fields, 1200 wells, which totaled 9,500 bbls of oil per day at one time, the only engineer- and it doesn't frustrate me or get under my skin. I don't question my decisions. I make a judgement call, follow through... and I'm good at what I do. Ask me to order a bridesmaids dress for my sisters wedding though, and I end up frustrated, anxious, and emotional. I need to learn how to manage these things better.

I'm going call my mother in law. I'm hoping with her professional knowledge and guidance she can save the day.

... and then I'm going soak in the tub with a new book, my favorite candle, and bubbles... because that is my "special place." You know- the thing you do to relax, get away from the world, zone out, forget the headaches of the day... You don't have a place like that? You don't know what you're missing out on. Don't worry- I know nights like this won't be an option forever. That's why I'm going make the most out of it while it lasts.

No comments: