Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm not in Kansas anymore...

(WARING: This is a work update.)

That's right- I'll no longer be spending my time in Kansas anymore. For those of you who didn't know, the past few months I've been working as Central Region Engineer, spending my time in the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandle, as well as southwest Kansas. I've truly enjoyed working with the people- but it hasn't been the easiest experience. To get to the field, it was an hour flight to Amarillo, and then a three hour drive to Liberal, Kansas- four if I had to go to Garden City. Cell phone reception is terrible- which is no fun when you're driving several hundred miles over a few days, nor it is safe. Dinner options are the Dairy Queen or Sonic... night after night. Lunch is from the gas station, or maybe a down home diner if you get lucky and have the time. Entertainment? None. And the motels, yes, motels- are terrible. The ever popular $39.99/night off Highway 64 just didn't do it for me. But that's all okay and in the past now, because as of this afternoon, I GET TO WORK IN THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS!

Can you tell how excited I am? I'll fly from Dallas to Denver, and have a short one hour ride. The field I'll be responsible for is surrounding a town, so living accommodations for the weeks out in the field should be a step up. And I LOVE the mountains. My summer in Colorado Springs seven years ago was amazing. That is God's country. I can see it now- heading up early on a Sunday to catch the Broncos game before work on Monday. Or how about a long weekend skiing tied to a week in the field. It's got promise. :) The only downfall is that I'll have to learn to adjust to snow, and am in desperate need of a serious winter jacket. I may be asking Santa Claus for an electric blanket as well.

On a serious note- this is a great opportunity for me to really develop an operational skill set. I'll be running my own drilling program- 24 hours a day, drilling one well continuously after another. I'll be working with a great engineer is responsible for the North end of the field- so it will be someone to discuss ideas with who is familiar with the asset I'm working. It'll be a big change from what I'm doing now, but I'm looking forward to it and am excited about the new challenge and opportunity. More details (and pictures) to follow.

Anybody have friends living in Denver these days?

No comments: