Sunday, September 28, 2008

Boomer Sooner

I can't believe I said that, but it's true. Yesterday, my friend Sarah and I traveled to Norman, Oklahoma to see the Sooners take on the TCU Horned Frogs. OU was my new stadium this year, and I was super excited for the experience. Why would I want to go to OU? Here's a little history lesson: Oklahoma has won 41 conference titles. They've gone on to win 24 bowl championships. They've had 144 All-Americans play for them, and most impressively, they've won the National Championship in 1950, 1955, 1956, 1974, 1975, 1985, 2000, and 2003. Oh wait- not 2003. LSU had the upset and took the title from their hands. Hehe. It's a program filled with history and tradition, and a must see on my Top 10 list.

Sarah and I got on the road, and met up with our friend Kristen to tailgate. The campus is beautiful. Not a lot of mature trees (we were spoiled at LSU), but the architecture is consistent throughout and is really stunning. Tailgate in style, but they are so well behaved. Once thing I've noticed about the Big 12 fans- they are SO much nicer than SEC fans. They don't yell at visitors... no Tiger Bait or Gator Chomps. It may sound crazy, but I am not used to fans being that mild mannered.
And here I am- walking into the Gaylord Family Memorial Football Stadium, commonly referred to as "The Fauker" by Sooner fans. Meet the Parents- get it?

The pregame show was awesome. OU's Band was good, not great, but good. I wish they were louder. Maybe it was the acoustics, but it was still a great show. They have several traditions, and I loved experiencing them.

Our tickets were in the North end zone, and you can see the student section and the band in the background behind us. Sarah is a die-hard OU fan from Montana, and it was her first game too.

It was an awesome day trip to Oklahoma, that ended with us grabbing some pizza on Campus Corner before heading back South on I-35. We jammed out to Broadway's Best all the way to Dallas. Sarah was a music major before transferring to Montana Tech and becoming a Petroleum Engineer. She says I have pitch, and if I just took lessons, I could really improve my range. That's a project for another year- I don't know if our bank account can handle that.

Where to next? I'm hoping Layne and I meet up with Hampton in California to go see UVA take on USC at the Coliseum, but we've got time to plan out details... and a lot of good football in between.
A special thanks to Sarah for getting tickets to the game. And for the last time in this lifetime... "BOOMER SOONER!"

2 comments:

Christine said...

Wish I would have known! You could have bunked at Melinda's for the night and had breakfast in the morning. Glad you had a good time~q

superbeefinder said...

Mitzi,

Keep a journal of all your college stadium visits and have it published. I have the perfect name for the book. It's from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Indy and his dad are trapped in Nazi Germany. "My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"