Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Getting Recs for the First Time

Tonight I went to an informational meeting for the Junior League of Dallas, and I am on cloud 9. I know, some of you are thinking "Junior League? Are you kidding me?" No, I'm not. Ever since I moved to Dallas, I've missed quality girl time. Think about it. I went to an all girls Catholic High School. I lived in my sorority house all through college. I have always had an outlet in my life that kept me involved with other amazing, strong woman. But ever since I've moved to Dallas, I haven't been able to find that niche. I've met some awesome girls here, but I miss the organization, the structure, and the purpose. And I think I've finally found it. The Junior League was actually founded by debutantes in New York City in the early 1900's, who went and volunteered in Hell's Kitchen to try and make a difference. It's now spread to 297 chapters worldwide. My first year won't start until May 2009, so there is some time before we get started, but I'm looking forward to it already. The service projects seem great, I definitely feel comfortable with the women I've met, and like all volunteer work- I'm sure I'll end up feeling like I getting more than I'm giving.

It is kind of like a sorority, except there was no bouncing and clapping, and the key demographics here are age 25-40. Even though I got a bid to join Zeta, I didn't go through rush at LSU because of the stereotype I had for sorority girls. I'm not going to let that happen to me again. So now, for the first time, I'm in the market for recommendations. Junior League recs that is.

1 comment:

Pam said...

The junior league is a great organization. We attended a fundraiser last year on new year's eve for the junior league here. They had a fun night for kids and parents. They do lots of great things for the community! Good luck and I hope you meet some great people!