Thursday, October 30, 2008

Another first...

I'm all about new experiences. And with the exception of illegal substances, I'll try just about anything once. But last night was a first I just didn't need to have. I was flying home from Colorado, and as I boarded the plane, I didn't feel very good. As the plane started pulling away from the terminal, my mouth started watering. You know when your mouth starts to salivate and it isn't because of food it means one thing... so I grabbed the barf bag and that was it. The man sitting next to me reading the wall street journal was mortified. It probably doesn't help that I looked like a mountain bum in dirty jeans and a flannel shirt, steel toed boots, and hat hair. I must have been a sight. Three people moved so I could have a row to my self. The stewardess brought me some ginger ale and a much bigger barf bag. Which was good, because I yakked again when we were taking off. One trip to the bathroom after the seat belt sign was lifted, and I passed out for the duration of the trip. Vomiting in public was one thing when I was 19 years old, in college, and stumbling out of the bars in Tigerland. Losing my stomach in a confined space with a bunch of business travelers flying from Denver to Dallas is a whole other experience I don't care to have again.

It wasn't in vain though. There was five year old boy sitting two rows ahead of me when I first threw up. Unlike the stares and shady glances from the rest of the passengers, his reaction was "So Cool!" As I was waiting for my luggage last night, his dad walked up to me and told me his son was afraid to fly, it was his first time, and seeing me lose my stomach made his night.

Never again.

No comments: