Friday, September 19, 2008

Dear War Eagles, Please don't boo when LSU plays better than us.

Below is an excerpt from a letter that the Dean of Students at Auburn University sent out to the entire student body on Wednesday.

"Dear Auburn Student,
I wanted to remind each of you about the importance of your support for our team and displaying character this weekend when L.S.U. fans and other guests arrive this weekend. First, please join me by agreeing to demonstrate your support for, and not criticism of, our football team. That means no booing! Remember, the team isn't trying to lose the game—the players work hard all spring and during fall camp to be ready to compete in the S.E.C. Let's show our appreciation for their hard work by encouraging them with loads enthusiasm! "

Since College Gameday is going to Auburn for the match up against LSU, I can understand that he wants the student body to behave in manner that positively reflects the university. But come on... in the age of the internet... what message is he sending? Auburn may struggle? Students may be disappointed? Don't boo when LSU embarrasses us... stand proud?

I laughed out loud when I heard this. I think this is the year, after nine years of the home team winning in this series, I think LSU is going to go home with the W. And it's nice to know that Auburn's Dean is starting to think that way too...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

About the books on your nightstand... Read "The Wednesday Letters" by Jason F. Wright. I guarantee you will love it!!
Nanny