Thursday, September 18, 2008

And we think the Jesuit on Banks is bad...

For those of you not from NoLA, let me preface this by saying that I went to an all girls Catholic high school. The public school system in New Orleans is so bad, that there is a public school system, a catholic school system, and a private school system. Whether you are catholic or not, it’s where the “middle class” goes to school in the city. Private schools are for the rich kids, (ie) the Mannings. All of the women in my generation in my family went to Mount Carmel. I graduated in 2001, and my younger cousin Erin is bringing up the caboose as a junior now. The men in our family all went to the same high school. And when I say all, I mean all. My grandfathers, my uncles, my dad, my brothers, my cousins… my mom and her sisters all married Holy Cross men. Only one man that did not go to Holy Cross married into the family. He went to Jesuit.

And we hate Jesuit. Not in the real anger in your heart hate kind of way, but in the play hate kind of way. Both high schools are over 150 years old, and the history and traditions span decades. For as long as I can remember, my dad had us pinch our noses as we drove by. Jesuit stinks.

So you can imagine the trash talking that has occurred since Layne and I bought a house two blocks from Jesuit High School here in Dallas. My grandfather is rolling over in his grave. So for all of you out there who know what I’m talking about, this post is for you.

We think Jesuit on Banks is bad… the Jesuit on Inwood is 10x worse! Last night, I volunteered to work a college information night through the LSU alumni association. I did it last year at a few schools, and really enjoyed it. So I came home from work, walked through St. Rita’s parking lot, and entered enemy territory. I was blown away. At least Jesuit in New Orleans is old. The buildings are in poor condition. It needs a facelift. The neighborhood is terrible. Sure, Jesuit has the reputation for being snotty and thinking they are above themselves. But the Jesuit here in Dallas is in a league of its own. Facilities were top notch. I was BLOWN AWAY by their campus. The boys were instructed to wear suits to the college info night, to represent themselves and their school in a positive light. Apparently their school uniforms weren’t good enough. I had never seen that many teenagers driving H3’s in my life. Catholic school in New Orleans aren’t for the wealthy. We had lots of girls on work study programs. Holy Cross gives scholarships to the brothers from the 9th Ward. But this… I didn’t know seventeen year olds wore Rolexes.

As I was walking out the building, I felt a pang of heart ache for my roots. I wish there was a Holy Cross here in Dallas, just so I could go cheer them on at football games, so I could raise my finger with pride and sing the alma mater. Layne’s required to recite “The Holy Cross Man” as part of his admittance to the family requirements anyway. The exposure couldn’t hurt.

So on the short trip back to the casa, I’ve decided what is numero uno on my Christmas list this year. I need a flag for the house, a Holy Cross flag. Who cares if no one else in the neighborhood gets it? I will. Steve O will. And maybe then I wouldn’t feel like such a traitor….

2 comments:

Stephen Orkus, Sr. said...

Not all Jesuits are bad; just most of them. I personally know at least two decent ones!
We need to teach Mom about this blog thing; she would go wild!
Faj

reynoldspedia said...

Hey now, Holy Cross does not have a monolpoly on family members. As a matter of fact, Cullen Harry Toups and myself are forming an elite society whose members cannot recite the Holy Cross Man. Layne will be president of our Texas chapter.

That school near your house sounds alot like CHS in B.R.

GO BEARS

-Uncle Pat