Monday, June 22, 2009

A Tiger in Foreign Lands

Technical difficulties posting pictures from the wedding this weekend, so I'll have to wait until I can sit down with Layne and see if he can help me figure it out. He uploaded pictures to his computer at work... and now I'm confused by the process. Sorry for the delay!

Today, I'm a stranger in foreign lands. I'm used to being in the minority... I'm Caucasian and I live in Texas (joke), I'm a female engineer. I'm always in a room full of men at work and industry meetings. But today, I'm another minority. I'm a Fighting Tiger surrounded by Longhorns.... and I'm soaking it up. Because despite the fact that I'm one of a few surrounded by many- I know who has the stronger voice.

First comment- ever see the "Texas-Exes" Alumni Association sticker? This never fails to crack me up. You go to a University of 40,ooo students, paying more than $10,000 a year for your degree, and when you walk across the stage to graduate, you officially become known as an Ex? Not in my book. I'll settle for simply turning the LSU on my senior ring from facing me to facing the world. It sends such a sweeter message.

I never fail to raise commotion when it comes to my college sports. LSU is beginning a best two-out-of-three series against Texas tonight, in the hopes of winning our 6th College World Series. And although I know I'm biased.... we really are in the drivers seat this time. As I walked into work this morning, a co-worker who graduated from UT told me I should be worried about our bats being cold this evening. We were standing at the coffee machine with a few other co-workers, and I politely reminded him that LSU is averaging 9 runs a game, and asked if he can count on 1 hand the number of times UT has done that this year. He couldn't, and my smirk said it all.

And while I was running errands at lunch today, I came across two Tiger fans at Wal-Mart. As we passed each other, I casually tossed out the standard Geaux Tigers and got a high five. It was a classic moment, until I noticed two teenagers with UT hats on giving me the evil eye. I took that "Hook Em Horns," and flipped them upside before you could count to three. The smirk returned.

What is it with all of the LSU grads at Merit showing up to work in purple and gold? I haven't seen a single UT co-worker in burnt orange today, and I checked my floor. (Of course the other floors were checked too. Bragging rights!) It's all about that Tiger pride.

I've tried to get someone to place a friendly wager, even for something as simple as lunch. But no one wants to take the bait... the Tiger Bait that is. They know what's up.

Gregory is at Omaha. He flew up this weekend, and is staying in a house that rented for $10,000 for two weeks. Walk out the front door, and the college baseball Mecca.... Rosenblatt Stadium is right there. He can sit outside and hear batting practice, "clink... clink.... clink." Life is good. National Championships have been in abundance at LSU over the past two decades, but the Tiger faithful never disappoint. The masses have fled to Omaha... and tonight I'll imagine I'm sitting in the ball park myself. (Greg's going to call at all critical times so I can just put the crowd on speakerphone and soak it all in.) I may not have any vacation left, but I'll make the most of what I've got.

Let me hear it: GEAUX! ...TIGERS! GEAUX! ...TIGERS! GEAUX! ...TIGERS! I can feel it. Can't you too?

And what's the only news of the day better than that? Only 75 days till LSU kicks off at the University of Washington. It's time to put a beating on the Pac-10, and take our rightful throne at the top of the West. Let the Countdown begin!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

maybe G-baby was calling you when he was on national tv??