Monday, March 30, 2009

Name Change

Layne and I have been married for almost 3 months now (time flies by), but in the eyes of the United States government, I am still Mitzi Orkus... until today that is. It took a little encouragement from my husband, and a little support from my momma, but today I finally found it in me to wander over to the social security office and change my name.

I could go on and on about that experience, but for your sake I'll resist. Just imagine this: the building was freezing cold. The door was stuck open for some reason and wouldn't shut. It took 1 hr and 15 minutes to get called. Because I had to go at lunch, half the counters were closed. I could tell who were the other women there to change their name. It was that obvious- by their bling.

So now, I'm slightly conflicted. I'm excited by the name change, and am ready to clear up this name limbo confusion. I'm excited to have finally taken Layne's name as my own. I love being his wife. But at the same time, I loved being an Orkus. Orkus isn't just my family name- it's part of my identity. I can't tell you how many times in my life I've gotten the "Have you met Mitzi before? She's the oldest Orkus." Or, "This is Mitzi. Stephen and Susan Orkus' oldest." What will happen to me now? "Mitzi Court? Who is that? I knew a Mitzi Orkus once..."

Just joking... at least, part of me is. So this morning I woke up Mitzi Margaret Orkus. Tonight I'll fall asleep Mitzi Orkus Court. I figure it'll take some time to start answering my phone, signing my name, and introducing myself correctly. And it's weird to think that I'll spend more time in my lifetime (hopefully) as a Court than an Orkus. But Orkus came first, and it'll always hold a special place in my heart. I never understood why my mom always signed Susan R. Orkus. Now I do.

For the first time, definitely not the last time....

Much Love,
Mitzi O. Court

2 comments:

tavo said...

replica bags new york replica hermes u5l94o9f32 replica bags aaa you could try these out e9c92q3c94 best replica bags replica bags online shopping replica bags in uk look these up c7q27p7b47 replica bags sydney

tendy said...

go to this website b6h98i0v88 replica louis vuitton bags replica bags and watches replica bags seoul site here b7t49g0a44 replica zara bags replica bags gucci click this site f4b01j9s58 replica bags in china